Sunday 28 June 2009

What do I believe #2 - A response to Mort

Mort - the link from beating to racism was quite simple:

The person distributing the email with the pictures and the story of the old man's beating shouted, "Blatant Racism" as the motive for the attack.

Your second comment proves my entire argument:

Why do you feel the need to ask if the victim was white and the guard black? It should be irrelevant - beatings and abuse should not be tolerated in our country regardless of who is the perpetrator and who the victim.

It is this kind of thinking that will continue to divide us as South Africans. Until we can see only South Africans, and not white or black, we can never heal the wounds of the past or grow as one nation in the future.

I understand that you are anti some of the things going on in South Africa, which probably explains why you emigrated, but for those of us who have chosen to stay behind to try and save our country, I believe it is important for us to find solutions rather than placing blame.

United We Stand - Divided We Fall!

Update to Mort's comment:

I am not sure if I understand what you are asking, but I think you are asking how the author made the connection to racism not me.. is that correct? If it is, then my response is this:

Nothing is said of what prompts the author to shout racism - barring the fact that the victim and the perpetrator are different races. This kind of thing (as you know) happens every day in South Africa, and nobody says a word, but let it happen between a black and white person and all hell breaks loose.

I think we, as South Africans, still have a long way to go...

1 comment:

Mort said...

Your post referenced racism and how shocking it is, but failed to establish WHAT was racist.
The context.
Someone stole something, yesss.
Someone was imprisoned and beaten, yessss.
So, how did we get from beating to racism.
THAT is why I have to ask.