Tuesday 17 March 2009

I would rather poke my eye out with a fork..

than eat vegetarian sausages ever again!

As most of you know, I am on a special weight management programme to try and shift this extra weight that I am lugging around with me. Every day I have to eat certain food. I literally have an exact menu planned for the 6-weeks it takes to complete this programme.

On Sunday evening the menu called for vegetarian sausages; I was so eager to try them that I went to 3 different supermarkets until I finally found them. I have wondered for a while what vegetarian substitutes for meat taste like.

Well, on Sunday night... I found out... in a big way…

I can honestly say that it was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted... let alone go into detail on what it looked like – suffice to say the consistency reminded me of a paste that had been squished and packed so tightly that chewing through it was akin to eating the paste that dentists put in your mouth to take a mould.

I wish I had taken a photo of it for you to see the true horror of the thing they call the vegetarian sausage. In fact, it had such an impact on me; just thinking about them now makes me feel a little ill!

Anyway, that is my story for the day – I have to dash – I have to get up at 03h30 tomorrow morning to be at the airport at 05h00...*Yawn*.. and I still have to pack lunch for Caleb and Adam for tomorrow, tidy the house and decide which suit I am going to wear tomorrow.. could take hours to choose knowing me..

2 comments:

Lking said...

I am a vegan and I do not eat bought meat substitutes. I have some really good recipes for substitutes, but not for sausage.
Most of what I cook is delicious!!

Unknown said...

Over here they sell something call Quorn as a meat substitute for Vegies. I've never tried it though so can't vouch for it but I know people who love it. I don't remember seeing it in SA, we aren't exactly a nation of Vegetarians.