Monday, 1 March 2010
Blog Hop from Africa
Traditional South African Bobotie!
cooking oil or butter
1kg Minced meat (mutton or beef)
1 Slice bread
250ml (1c) milk
15ml (1T) medium curry powder
22.5ml (1.5T) sugar
10ml (2t) salt
7.5ml (0.5T) turmeric
30ml (2T) vinegar or juice of 1 lemon
6 almonds quartered
125ml (0.5c) seedless raisins
4 bay leaes or grated yellow rind of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (350F).
2. Peel and slice the onions thinly. Fry lightly in hot cooking oil and if uncooked meat is used, fry with the onions until slightly cooked and crumbly.
3. Soak the bread in the mild and squeeze out the milk. Mash the bread.
4. Mix all the ingredients except 125ml milk, 1 egg and the bay leaves.
5. Spoon the mixture into a greased oven dish, insert the bay leaves in an upright positon in the meat mixture.
6. Bake for 1 hour if uncooked meat is used and for 45 minutes if cooked meat is used.
7. Beat the remaining egg with 125ml milk and pour over the meat 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
8. Serve with rice and chutney and perhaps a green salad!